Sunday, September 6, 2009

Contact Sheet


When working on the contact sheet, I noticed that I was familiar with some of the applications within Photoshop. I took a few computer graphic design classes in high school, all of which included Photoshop. I was most familiar with the format/mode and orientation sections, but the others I had less or no experience with.

The resolution row was a bit tricky to complete simply because I had trouble finding a 1200 dpi picture. I searched Google images and learned that once I selected the large picture option, I received 1200 dpi pictures. I choose the striped caterpillar because I felt it would be easier to see if the picture became fuzzier, if I could no longer define the stripes. Once I found a picture, I dragged it into Photoshop, decreased it to one inch in height, and proceeded to decrease the dpi by selecting image size and typing in the accurate dpi size.

The format/mode row was simpler because I have had previous experience with it. I choose a 300 dpi image full of colors to drastically illustrate the variants in color with each column. I began with the RGB color because that is what the image was originally set in from the web and decreased it to one inch in height. I then changed the color to CMYK by selecting image, mode and CMYK. I developed the B&W picture by selecting image, mode, and grayscale from the original photo. For Duotone, I kept the image in the B&W condition and then selected image and duotone. From there, I was able to choose what color I wanted to appear in the photo besides black. I chose pantone red, giving the photo a red tint.

For orientation, I choose a picture with greater length than height from Google. I then typed 1 in. by 1 in. into the width and height toolbar at the top. From there, I clicked on the crop icon on the left side toolbar and dragged the crop tool from the top left corner of the picture to where the crop tool stopped. I then doubled clicked on the selected area of the photo and placed it into the square column. For the portrait row, I did the same, but made the width .75 in. and the height 1 in.

For the framing row, I changed the height of a picture from Google to 1 in. using image size. I then typed in 1.5 in. for the width and 1 in. for the height in the toolbar at the top. I took the crop tool and chose a spot in the center of the image. I then double clicked the selected area to zoom into that specific area. I proceeded to do that three times for each column.

For the content row, I took a picture of a violin off the Flickr photo website. After dragging it into Photoshop, I selected the crop tool and focused on a specific part of the violin. I kept cropping from the original photo until I got down to a specific detail on the violin that wouldn't be recognizable unless the representational photo was seen first. I shrunk the photo down to 1 in. in height each time I cropped it.

For the purpose row, I chose a journalistic style photo offline and shrunk it to 1 in. in height in Photoshop. For each column, I took the original photo, went to filter, and choose a specific filter technique I wanted to use. The filters I used were palette knife, colored pencil, and neon glow.

No comments:

Post a Comment